Monday, August 6, 2012

The Ten [Questions] For Transitioners! With: Brittany R.


Brittany Reginna

18, College student 

 1.) How long have you been transitioning (since when)?
Since last October

2.) What made you want to transition?

Im tired of wearing extensions or putting chemicals through my hair. My sister was already planning on doing it 

3.) How did you manage your hair before taking the transition journey?

Always straightening/relaxing my hair. If not that then putting extensions in my hair

4.) What is the goal you are aiming for?

To have my hair grow to mid back

5.) What is your hair care regimen now through this transition?

I still wear extensions but I never relax nor straighten my hair. I keep it in braids while my extensions are in and I wash my hair with the extensions every week using cold water, a lot of conditioner and little shampoo (hot water and shampoo dries out the hair). After a month the extensions come out so I can take the braids out and wash my hair freely, still using cold water and such. I put leave in conditioner in my hair and braid it back up, making sure to cut off any long strands.

6.)How have your friends/boyfriends/family responded to your transition?

My family loves the idea and they are joining along also. My friends dont really understand since I mainly have white friends haha But my black friends also love the idea and give me props for trying. My boyfriend is proud Im getting away from artificial means of handling my hair. He loves it natural


7.) Have struggles have you encountered through this time?

Its hard to keep taking out the extensions every month because it's usually 3 months but I know its worth it since my hair is growing well

8.) How do you see your hair 3 years from today?

In three years, I see my hair grown to mid back and even longer with healthy volume

9.) If you could give one piece of advice to someone thinking of beginning to transition, what would you say?

Don't be afraid to break from society's idea of "beauty" because there's nothing more beautiful than the natural way God made you

10.) If you were to title this transitioning experience (like a movie or book title) what would you call it? 

Just Being Me





Thank you Brittany,
We wish you the best in this beautiful journey! 
God bless you!




If you are also transitioning and would like to be featured in Oh My Afro, let us know at ohmyafro@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment