Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What I have to say about WEN

One of the most seen infomercials about hair care is of the product WEN by Chaz Dean. In case you haven't caught it playing on tv, here's a video of it:



I was able to try the product out so I want to make sure I give you my review before you get suckered into buying a "magical-will-fix-all-the-problems-on-this-earth-even-world-hunger" product.
Let me say this: IT IS NOT AS INDISPENSABLE AND NECESSARY AS THEY MAKE IT SEEM.
But like all infomercials, it's their job to make you think so. It's an okay, read carefully-- OKAY products. That's it. Nothing more nothing less. 

My mom has Middle Eastern type hair (beautiful curly/wavy hair that's pretty thin compared to my afro) and she wanted to try out WEN because she had noticed her hair didn't have the same volume as before. I was excited for her because I wanted to actually SEE if that hair-cocaine actually worked. After her first use, she walked in my room and told me she hated it. I convinced her to keep trying it because maybe it needed a few uses for the magic to kick in. She used it about two or three more times and I did notice her hair looking more full and curlier (really pretty actually) but she wasn't satisfied because her head itched horribly. When I started using the product as well, I noticed the same thing. My scalp was seriously itching from the second I stepped out of the shower. I can't stand that, you should feel clean after you wash your hair-- not like you have red ants dancing around all over your scalp! 

Besides the itching, when you put the WEN conditioner in your hair, the sensation you'll feel is like the "icy" feeling from "Icy-Hot" lotion. A really cool and chilly feel. If you like that, then you'll like WEN a little more, if you don't then even more of a reason to not get WEN.

Here is MY guess about what WEN reeeeeeally does:
I think WEN doesn't wash/clean at all-- it only puts in all the "good-stuff" from conditioners and hair treatments to moisturize. What happens to cleaning? It doesn't, so it never removes any of your natural oils (which carry the dirt and bacteria) so your hair looks "fuller" because all of your oils are accumulating. But the hilarious thing is THAT THEY TELL YOU ALL THIS but try to make it seem like a good thing!! That's just nasty. Those oils need to be washed eventually, that's why everyone should wash their hair at least once a week, you want to remove those oils to prevent from it getting greasy and stinky and nasty and itchy.  But because WEN has such a strong fruity/minty smell it won't let you smell the real smell from the old oils in your hair. 
But this is just how I think this product really works. 
Think of this example:
instead of taking a shower everyday, and especially taking a shower when you just came back from a hot day and you're all sweaty, you just put lotion ALL OVER your body as if to clean it and cover the smell. Your skin will be very soft, yes-- but will you be clean? If this idea doesn't make you say EWW!!, I have no idea what else to say...

Do I recommend WEN?
If you have $30 bucks to spare and curiosity is just killing you-- then go ahead. But if you're wise and careful with your money, I honestly say don't get it. With thirty bucks you can do a lot for your hair.

There IS one product from WEN that actually did pull through and treat my hair. It's the WEN Re-Moist Intensive Treatment, which I applied to my hair after "not washing it" with WEN, and left it overnight. Once I washed it out I could see it gave my hair incredible shine and it felt really soft-- but it's not worth buying the whole hair care system for.




Hope I was able to give you some insight before the WEN commercials suck you in!

All my love,

Roxy


No comments:

Post a Comment